Monday, April 06, 2009

Blame It On The Hormones!

I have decided that today's blog entry will have nothing to do with waiting for Baby Rude/the countdown/patience, etc. Hey, we're on his time at this point, so there's no use in dwelling on the fact that he's taking FOREVER and making the minutes seem to pass even more slooooowly.

Instead you get this little tidbit...
Please forgive me if I have written about this in a previous entry, but I wanted to share a little story that I find slightly amusing (at my own expense, of course.) I happened to think of it again just yesterday and I actually shook my head as I chuckled aloud to myself. Silly pregnant lady...

Let's rewind to the first trimester of my pregnancy. Often during this period of time, you could find me on the couch trying to keep my food from exiting my stomach via my esophagus. On one such occasion, David was gone for the evening and I was apathetically channel-surfing. I came across a reality show that I hadn't seen before and it caught my attention. It was called "Greatest American Dog" and they were actually airing the final episode. I'm a dog person, and it looked somewhat entertaining, so I allowed myself to be wrapped up in the competition for an hour or so. At the end of this "grand finale", the show was down to just two dogs and their owners:

Travis, and his Boxer, Presley:


-and-

Laurie and her Maltese Andrew:


There were a variety of activities that the dogs had to perform and numerous challenges for the pets and their owners. I was so impressed by how well-behaved both dogs were and especially the little Maltese - he completed everything in the agility courses despite the fact that he was half the size of most of his competitors! As the show progressed, I became more and more attached to that little white fluff-ball. He and his owner had such a bond and they worked so hard together. I could see that tiny Andrew did everything to please Laurie and make her proud, and she rewarded him with love and affection. Can you tell that I was rooting for them to win?

In the end of the show, after many commercial breaks and lots of drama and unnecessary build-up, the judges selected Travis and Presley to be the winners. I immediately started bawling. Can you picture this? I'm alone in my house watching a ridiculous show for the first time and tears are running down my face because my favorite pooch didn't win! I really felt bad for sweet Andrew. I think I may have even been sobbing at one point. This was an episode requiring multiple Kleenex tissues! You would have thought I just lost a family member or was told something was wrong with my baby. Sheesh! I was really grieving for this poor pup and he probably didn't even know he came in 2nd place!

Well, as my sniffling began to subside, I think I realized how truly pathetic and emotional I was being. I slowly pulled myself together and tried to clean the mascara smudges on my cheeks. I even giggled sheepishly to myself - what a crazy prego girl! Of course I was completely composed by the time David got home, although I did have to share the embarrassing event with him.

Now, see? Isn't that quite the amusing tale? I'm normally very level-headed and don't let my emotions get the best of me, but at least I had the hormones to blame for this little mental breakdown. I really think that has been the only time during my pregnancy that I have felt out of sorts. Before "being with child," I imagined that I might be an emotional wreck, but maybe I'm saving that until after the baby is here. Won't that be something to look forward to? =)

Hmmm... actually, now that I think about it... I must confess that there are a couple other things that crack through my normally calm and composed surface. I'll even share one of those with you now since I still have your attention. I have found that viewing birth videos are a sure-fire way to get the waterworks going for me. I have watched a few online recently and a couple tears always manage to sneak out of my eyes when the parents welcome their new little miracle into their family. I think I can be pardoned, however, for those moments of displayed emotion. It is a joyous occasion, and doesn't everyone get a little sappy about new babies? It's certainly better than going into hysterics over a dog show!

3 comments:

Niki said...

I too cried at all birthing videos that I watched... I would probably cry still!

And I cried in my first trimester when Eric made pancakes for dinner... The tears still come post baby too!

Mandi said...

My emotionalism came WAY worse post prego! I cried about EVERYTHING... like, I had never given a baby a sponge bath... what if I mess up... I can't do this without help... Yeah... Lucky for me that was at Mom's and she helped me through this HUGE crisis! :) LOL Good luck to you!
(OH, and if you need someone to show you how to sponge bath your little man... Let me know!)

Shauna Wagner said...

i NEVER cry! I have been to therapy but still not many things get to me. One night the kids were in bed and Troy was gone somewhere. I turned on the movie "Click" and near the end I was sobbing. Of course Troy came home and his expression made me laugh so picture me sobbing and laughing at the same time. It was crazy! Anyway- he will be here soon and your emotions will even out but not for a while. Call any time. Love you!!!