Thursday, August 25, 2005

I Wanted to Say Something...

I was on the MAX the other night after work and I overheard some teenage girls who were chatting near me. (No, I was not really eavesdropping, but it's hard not to hear what other people are saying when they are standing right next to you in a crowded car.) They looked to be around 14 or 15 (maybe younger...) and they were talking about how their summers had been going. One of them declared that she had made out with SO many guys already since school had been out. She said it was lots of fun. One of the other girls declared that she had probably made out with more boys than the first girl had. The first girl responded that this was probably true, because the second girl "got around" more than she did. The second girl defended herself by claiming that she didn't really f--- many of them, just messed around. The first girl agreed and said that she hadn't f---ed a whole lot either. She added that she wasn't a slut like so-and-so's girlfriend. The third girl was silent during this conversation, and I wondered if maybe she, like me, wished that there was more purpose and worth to each of our lives than her friends seemed to think.

The whole thing made me sad, and I wished I could have said something to them, but I was just a stranger on public transportation who wasn't supposed to be hearing them anyway. Unless of course, their conversation was for the benefit of those who were around them - maybe we should have been impressed by their "scoring" stats. I just felt sorry for them. I don't know what I would have said anyway, but I wish I would have said something...

2 comments:

Lori Ann said...

I hear what you are saying, I have felt like this before.

tabitha jane said...

once on the max, i heard some kids making fun of a girl they knew because she had a lot of acne. coming from someone who has ALWAYS struggled with acne, it really sucked to have to stand by and hear it . . . i guess all i can do is try to help my future children to become people of stubstance . . .