Sunday, May 17, 2009

Big(ger) Boy!

I didn't write any blog posts about this before (probably because it was a bit frustrating and worrisome for me) but Oliver was past 3 weeks of age and still not back up to his birth-weight. He was born 7lbs 12oz and got down to 7lbs 4oz in the hospital (normal for a baby), but at his 2 week check-up he was only back up to 7lbs 7oz. We came back for 2 follow-up appointments and he was stuck at that same weight. He wasn't losing anything but the doctor and nurses were concerned that he wasn't gaining normally.

The medical staff had several instructions for us to follow including an herbal tea and 2 additional supplements for me to take, waking Oli every 2-3 hours to feed 10 minutes on each side and then offering him an additional 2 ounces of breastmilk/formula afterwards, having me use a pump after every feeding (ouch), and increasing my amount of sleep (easier said than done!) Anyway, it seems that these methods have been very successful!

Oliver was weighed on Thursday and was still stuck at 7lbs 7oz. I started with the doctor recommendations after that appointment and my mom and I took Oli back in for a weighing that Saturday (2 days later.) I was so very happy and relieved when we discovered that he was up to 7lbs 14oz! He gained 7oz in 2 days! Hooray! Also, I fed him while we were there and he gained another 2oz so he was technically up to 8lbs! All the sleep deprivation and use of the suction/torture machine have been worth it!

Here are some pics of our BIG boy!







Also, he quickly got tired of being propped-up in this position! =)



(I think this was a yawn... not screaming.)

2 comments:

Mandi said...

Sheesh! If he is gaining that fast now they are going to have him on a diet! :) 1 oz. a day is what they like. :) Kaden was 3 weeks before he hit his birth weight. It hasn't seem to hurt him any.
Your pump hurts? Does it have different settings? It shouldn't hurt, it should actually be more comfortable then Oli... If you can, turn it down until it doesn't hurt.

Just me and my kids said...

The pump can hurt when you already have sore nipples, but no more so than nursing, normally less than nursing.
As for growing, you just tell your doctors that your cousins baby was only 12 pounds at 8 or 9 months. However she is up to 14 1/2 now, at ten months.... still a little on the little side.
I need to come see you soon!