Thursday, October 06, 2005

*Sniff, Sniff* Story

This has been a quick week for me. I've had loan training the past couple of days, and that has actually been pretty cool. I'm looking forward to being able to help our members in a new area. David has been working with his dad in Astoria, which is good because it helps us pay the bills, but it's bad because it means that I have to stay here without him.

I have a funny/weird story from earlier this week to share. I thought I was burning our apartment down - seriously! I was getting ready for work on Tuesday and turned up the thermostat before I got in the shower. I was almost done when I smelled a really strong plastic stench. I thought maybe it was the hot water pipes or the shower curtain, but it was a really bad smell and I realized that it actually smelled like something burning... I was freaked out so I jumped into action! I turned off the shower, grabbed a towel and raced out of the bathroom trying to find the fire so I could put it out. (I had this terrible image of myself running around outside our apartment in the freezin' cold in only a towel trying to find someone to help me - eek! So I was hoping that this would be a job that I could take care of myself... I also was imagining David saying, "I TOLD you not to turn on the heaters in the morning..tsk, tsk," while we looked upon the rubbish pile that used to be our home...) But none of those things happened, so you can relax a little. The burning plastic smoky odor was coming from our dining room, and upon closer inspection, I noticed that there was some kind of leaf in one of the baseboard heaters. After I opened all the windows and let the heating elements cool down, I extracted the leaf with a couple of pencils. It turned out to be a pink petal from a freakin' fake flower! It had totally melted and filled our apt with a horrid stench. Where this mystery petal came from - I have no idea. We have lived in this place for a year and a half now and it was never in there before. I honestly don't remember that there has ever been a time when we have owned plastic pink plants, so it's a big mystery. At least the story has a happy ending. ...and I think the smell is almost gone...

3 comments:

tabitha jane said...

eeewwww. i hate the smell of burning plastic.

dylan and jon made lunch for us yesterday (pancakes, bacon and eggs) and burnt the pancakes while i was in the shower. all i heard was the smoke detector going off. i had images of jon rushing into the bathroom and pulling me dripping and naked out into the street to wait for the fire department to come . . .

Carrie said...

Ah, so you can sympathize... I think it's funny that my biggest fear was that I would have to run outside in my towel, not that I might get burned (or worse) by the fire on my way out. silly...

Erin said...

It's amazing how something so little can make your house smell so bad.