Monday, October 10, 2005

Another Checkmark on my P-town List

I enjoyed another new Portland experience this weekend. It was my brother Ben's birthday last Sunday and he wanted to come up and celebrate with us "in the big city." (My family is very small-town.) My mom drove up on Friday with Ben, one of his friends, my other brother Jeremiah, and sister Alyssa. We gave him his presents that evening and then put them to good use. He got a couple fun card games and a nerf foam dart gun from us. (His friend gave him the exact same gun, so our apartment suddenly became a friendly battlefield.)

On Saturday we rode the MAX down to Saturday market. My siblings were wide-eyed at the many characters that we saw while downtown. (I guess our little hometown doesn't offer that much in the way of diversity...) We enjoyed elephant ears and a greasy lunch while there and I bought my mom some earrrings made from ash from Mt. St. Helens. She loved them.

Afterwards we went to the Avalon for video games. (This was the new experience that I made reference to before.) We loaded up on nickels and then tried to accumulate as many tickets as we could. I kicked Jere's booty on Dance Dance Revolution, but David totally beat me on one of the racing games. I got addicted to one of those games where you shoot your nickel and try to make it push others over the edge. (Jamie knows what I'm talking about.) Oh, and I found that skeeball is great for a few quick tickets and requires minimal skills. In the end, my efforts paid off with a large deck of cards, a cheap plastic bracelet and several tootsie rolls. I can't wait to go back again.

3 comments:

tabitha jane said...

niki and i went to the avalon once and spent all our nickles on skeeball so we could win this big blow up hammer with spiderman on it. when you hit things with it, it squeaks. i wonder what happened to it . . .

jessica said...

the avalon. when i first saw that place, it looked like it would be the setting for a horror movie, ending with an innocent blonde being attacked by a clown.
however, it's not like that, and i'm glad you had a good experience.

Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! »