Monday, January 26, 2009

You Gotta' Try It!

I'm not sure how my life was complete before I was introduced to this game...

Luckily, David and I decided to join Randy and Sarah on that fateful trip to Mt. Hood a couple of years ago, and that's when it all began. Little did we know that crammed together in a freezing cabin, we would crack open the board game that would change our lives. Huddled around a crude wooden table (pulled as close to the giant stone fireplace as possible) we entered a world of far-away and long-ago.

I'm talking about a little game called The Settlers of Catan!



For those unfamiliar with this entertaining treasure, here's a little synopsis...
Each player has a group of settlers that compete (in a friendly way) for domination of the island of Catan (no violence involved here, peeps.) The goal is to be the first to obtain 10 Victory Points through collection of a variety of resources and the development of a civilization - settlements, roads, cities, armies, etc.



You have to watch out for the sneaky robber too! (Every island needs a scoundrel, right?)



It's tough for me to remember a time when we didn't schedule "Settlers Nights" with various combinations of our friends. What did we even do back then?

Well, I gotta' give props to the Germans for this one! I may not like their harsh language or care for their beer, but they got it right when they created this game!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i am sad that we were never introduced to something so fulfilling in your life, but at the same time i am glad you have something to do to occupy your life without us. miss you!

brenda said...

I love this game! you can play it online. We used to play it with Lanny and Suzy Tucker.