Thursday, January 15, 2009

One of my Nerdy Hobbies!

I'm not a complete super-nerd, but I enjoy some activities that push me towards the nerdy end of the scale. I'll admit to taking pleasure in things like: reading for hours on end, scrapbooking, filing receipts and paying bills, making lists, and doing Sudoku puzzles (I like to call it Su-DORK-u!) One hobby that David and I both enjoy is Geocaching. Now, if you know what geocaching is, you totally understand why we love it... but if you're out of the loop, allow me to tell you a bit about it.

Geocaching is like treasure-hunting for grown-ups! It combines hiking/exploring with sluething and discovery. All you need is a GPS unit and access to this website: Basically, participants hide a "cache" and then record details for others to find it. The details might be the exact coordinates where the cache is hidden (longitude and latitude to plug into your GPS) or there may be a series of clues or discoveries you must make to find this information. Some caches just contain a logbook so you can sign that you found it, while others are larger and contain little trinkets that you can trade. (i.e. - I'll leave a friendship bracelet and take a pin shaped like the state of Kansas - score!)

One of the best parts about geocaching is that you can do it almost anywhere. They have caches in downtown metropolitan areas, around most neighborhood, way out in the country, and even the Canadians have caught-on to the craze! We bring our GPS when we go camping or hiking, when we go visit friends out of state, or basically any time we travel.

Photo taken while hunting for a cache in a downtown PDX park:


Taking a break while finding caches in the PDX Rose Garden:


You should check it out, and maybe you'll get hooked like we did!

1 comment:

Jessica said...

So, you might ask, "Jessica, how can you made geocaching even nerdier than ever before?" Well, dear friend, let me tell you. Add Sunday paper puzzles!
I just printed off a multi puzzle cache called Sunday Paper and think we should attempt it together (read: i need to use you for your mad puzzle skillz).
We should do it!
GCZRQ5 is the 1st one.