Tuesday, January 13, 2009

What Next?

As most of my faithful readers probably know, (hello? mom? are you the only one out there?) our beloved Cascade College will be closing after this Spring Semester 2009. If you are not in the loop with all things Cascade-related, there is information about the closure on our website: http://www.cascade.edu/news.asp?newsid=317&cat=0.

Now that the shock and frustration related to this decision have started to fade for me, I am faced with the fact that I am going to have to eventually move-on. I feel like I have a lot invested in Cascade - 4 years (and so many great memories) as a student, and now over 3 years as an employee. I love this place and I am not ready to say goodbye! Granted, I was expecting to take a 3 month hiatus for maternity leave starting sometime in April, but I planned to have a job to return to! Now EVERYTHING is up in the air!

I've started praying, brainstorming, researching, and dreaming about what might be next for me. Will I be an astronaut, a racecar driver, or a professional chef? I certainly have big-time skills in all those areas, but not a lot of experience. Maybe I should stick with something in the business field...

Here are some options I am considering for my home-based business:

- Selling cosmetics. Forget Avon and Mary Kay, I'm going to develop my own line of make-up for "the woman who only takes 2 minutes each morning to put on powder and mascara." I'll name it Rudimentary Beauty and it will feature (you guessed it!) only powder and mascara products. I'm sold already!



- Professional book reviewing. I really know how to read books, and generally I can offer my opinion of them afterwards. My prices will be competitive, but I will have some limitations to the projects I will accept: only fiction novels, must be fewer than 500 pages (pictures are a bonus), love stories or drama preferred, nothing related to war or violence, and can only make me cry a maximum of three times in its entirety. Oh, and if it sucks, I don't have to finish it. Also, I will not be writing actual reviews, I will just tell my clients what I think - it's more personal that way. As a bonus, I can do the dirty-work and actually select the book I read for you - AT NO ADDITIONAL COST!



- Organization wizardry. I don't do windows, but I'm pretty good at tidying/straightening-up/putting things away. Got a stack of papers? I can put them in folders for you (maybe with labels, maybe even sorted.) Got stuff on your floor (like toys, clothes, etc. - NOT dog messes, baby messes, and the like)? I can pick those things up and put them somewhere else for you (maybe someplace you'll be able to find them later.) Sound too good to be true? Well, for the right price, it could be a reality - especially if you have chocolate chip cookies I can eat while I work!



Well, that's all I've come up with so far. Please let me know if you can think of other ways I can turn my talents into profits. Oh, and if you need any of the above services - don't hesitate to give me your credit card information and we can discuss it further!

3 comments:

YMinisterswife said...

I've been wondering how you guys were doing with all the Cascade stuf! Dave and I were so sad to hear about Cascade closing their doors. It will be an adjustment for a lot of sweet people!

As for you my prego friend...focus on that little person you are planning to hold soon. All will be well. God is good and faithful!

YMinisterswife said...

Oh...I forgot to mention...that picture of the lady with the terrific/terrifying makeup is what totally made me read this post. Keep putting pics up like that and you'll get lots of readers just because we are curious. :)
Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

you are so creative i think you should write a book. you could write a book about what i'll be when i grow up. it could be written from your little babies view point. i would buy one. of course i would want a friends and family discount so you wouldn't make much.

try not to stress over what you will do next. God is faithful and He will lead you to the right place. if all else fails you can move in with us and have free daycare.

we are praying for you and your sweet rude family. take care and enjoy all those little kicks and pokes in your ribs. love you friend.